With every passing day the need to connect to the world has increased, but so has cyber Hacking. Personal information can be at stake if one doesn’t resort to precautions. Everyone, regardless of which part of the world they reside, knows about how internet works and how some “no-go areas” on the internet are restricted because either the government has banned access to them or they fall in a region of the world where their access is limited to countries within the region. This is where a VPN comes into play. A VPN helps in accessing content which has been restricted but at the same time keeps our identity hidden.
Before jumping right into the topic, ever wondered what a VPN is? Or Is using a VPN necessary over the internet other than the time of need? Let’s dig further into a VPN!
What Is A VPN?
Normally content on the internet is easily available, but sometimes it’s restricted. VPN stands for Virtual Private Network and it’s the tool that helps us deal with situations as shown. A VPN deals with IP addresses and changes the IP of the User to trick the domain. The user wants to access, and the domain thinks the user is within the region and thus can have access to the content. This IP change makes sure that your identity remains hidden to the outer world so it’s not that easy to retract where you reside. So it’s safe to say that a VPN has more uses than ONE and can ensure continuous streaming of content that is out of streaming reach.
Why Use a VPN?
A VPN creates a secure path for the user to do multiple tasks. It can serve purposes that range from doing transactions from your account using online banking to just viewing content that’s restricted in your country or region. As one can see information related to one’s bank account is very sensitive, and if not protected righly, it can end up in the hands of a hacker who could misuse the information. The connection formed with the use of a VPN is encrypted which means that the data being shared between this “tunnel” is safe from prying eyes.
3 Ways to Setup a VPN
VPN Through an Extension:
If you’re using a laptop for watching shows or a navigator such as chrome for web surfing, you could add a VPN extension. This can be done in the following manner:
- For chrome, click on Customize chrome which is at the extreme left side of the URL bar
- Find the option more settings in the drop down menu, it further opens into a menu which has an option called Extensions
- In the extensions tab, click on the main menu icon, and right at the bottom, you’ll find
Open Chrome Web Store
- A new tab will open and in that tab type “VPN” in the Search box and then chrome store will show you its related options where you can choose whichever option suits you best
- After selecting the search keyword, it will load all the extensions is has in that category
Add to Chrome
- Whichever extension you find fitting, click on the blue button
- The extension will begin downloading
- After complete installation of the extension, chrome will ask whether you want it on the chrome search bar or not
- After selecting YES, choose the server you want to connect to for internet streaming
- Switch servers if the speed is slow or the content is still not visible
- Try loading the channel or address for the sport you are interested to watch
VPN Through your smartphone:
If you are considering using your smartphone for surfing the internet, there are TWO prominent ways to use a VPN:
Built-In VPN feature: Every smartphone comes with a built-in option of VPN. In order to use this facility:
- Go into your Cellphone’s settings
- Click on more options
- Select VPN
- Click on the button “Add VPN Network”, if you haven’t already setup a VPN.
- Fill the information asked and click save.
- After saving, click on the VPN you have created and if a small key symbol is visible on your phone’s screen, you are now connected to a VPN.
- Use the created VPN to check whether it is up to your requirements for browsing anonymously.
A VPN App: The most efficient and painless way of using a VPN on your cellphone is by using an app that is specifically designed to serve the purpose of a VPN. A good app can be filtered out by viewing their rating on the APP-store.
- Open the App-store on your cellphone
- Search for “VPNs” in the Search bar
- Choose from the variety of options
- Click on download
- Follow the instructions given by the app
- YOU are GOOD to GO!!
The most important thing to note here is that “The more you pay, the better service you get” which means, although free VPNS exist but they have limitations which are as follows:
- Number of tabs allowed by the VPN at a time
- Advertisements which can be bothersome
- A trial period that expires and they start charging automatically
- Limited servers available on the free version which in most cases are slow
So in order to enjoy long lasting hassle free browsing, you need to buy a subscription where all of these issues are already dealt with. Here, more payment doesn’t mean it would cost you an arm and a leg but just a few dollars and you’re peaceful and free over the internet throughout the period of time you bought the subscription for.
VPN Through a Website:
VPNs also exist in the form of websites which to some extent are beneficial when it comes to streaming online. They either ask for subscriptions right away or offer a free trial for a limited amount of time.
- Open the VPN website on your browser
- Choose a VPN package and proceed to payment
- Download their app
- Select a Server
- Click on GO and enjoy your VPN connection